Taco soup may be my new favorite thing, so I had to share. It is super easy and there are so many ways that you can alter it. It is also pretty healthy, considering that I got the original recipe from a Weight Watchers recipe. Here is what I did...
- 1 lb. ground turkey or lean beef
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 package of mushrooms
- 1 (1 oz.) package hidden valley ranch dressing mix
- 1 (1 oz) package taco seasoning
- 1-2 cans of your favorite beans (I used black)
- 1 can whole kernel corns
- 1 (8 oz) can Rotel tomatoes with chilies
- 1 jar of good salsa
- 1 box of chicken or beef stock
Plus, of course, Cheese, sour cream, chips and cilantro for topping
Simply brown the meat and onion and add the seasoning packets. Then, add the broth and all other ingredients and simmer until you are ready for dinner. I let mine cook for about an hour and it was perfect. I imagine that making this in the crock pot would be awesome, however, I have sworn off the crock pot. (I hate smelling food all day, then having to eat it.)
Top with all of your favorite toppers and enjoy! Let me know how you make it. Oh, I bet it'd be great with corn bread too. Next time...